Thursday, April 10, 2008

Love/Hate Cub Scouts

I have this love/hate relationship going on with Cub Scouts. I know how important it is and why the church uses it as the activity day for boys. I love working with the boys (usually) and enjoy den meetings. I love what the boys learn from Cub Scouts. But as a den leader I hate preparing for den meetings and the hours I put into it every week that do not seem to be appreciated by the parents. Especially when they don't bring their son and don't tell me their son isn't coming! I plan on all the boys being there and sometimes that includes games that need several boys. Some days only 2 boys show up (including my own son) and some days 5 show up. I wish I knew before hand what to plan on. No matter how many times I tell the parents to let me know, only one parent actually does (Thanks, Jenny!).

I also wish some church leaders would understand Cub Scouts better. Our pack is made up of 2 wards and the other ward is in charge of filling some of the positions. Right now we don't have a Webelos leader and it is driving me nuts because Derek becomes a Webelos next month! The other ward just doesn't seem to care and hasn't filled that calling. If they don't have someone by the time Derek is a Webelos I am going to have to do both Wolf/Bear and Webelos because parents can't sign off Webelos achievements and I am not going to have Derek miss out getting the Arrow of Light because of no leader.

Okay, my rant is over. And yes, den meeting is today and I am struggling to prepare for it. The theme is Abracadabra and I wish I could do magic tricks!

No comments: