Wednesday, May 21, 2008

Another car accident!

Last Wednesday, May 14, I received an email from Jordan that was very scary! He was in a car accident in Peru!! Luckily he was just fine, but after seeing the car I don't know how.
This is a semi-edited version of the accident:

"Today in the morning I almost died. No joke. I bet you kind of guessed that seeing the pictures that I sent, but let me tell you exactly what happened: So we were in the airport after having just dropped off the last of the missionaries who was flying home. …we headed out of the airport . . .and got into our taxi that had brought us to the airport originally. The poor taxi driver looked totally worn out; I’m sure he had had a really long day. So we start our journey home (the airport is pretty far from where we live) . . .until all the sudden we felt what you might feel if you run over a pot hole going really, really fast. The car kind of bumps and you hear a scrape/bump/bash noise. So that lasted about point 5 seconds and the part where you’d normally continue on your journey without any problems was instead replaced by a crazy flying/bouncing around in the car "I’m going to die!" kind of sensation! We had hit a cemented-to-the-ground metal post that was at the end of a fence and our car did an almost flip in the air! The car landed on its side and we landed on each other, or more accurately: I landed on Elder Phillips! It all happened so fast that it was crazy. I’ve never really been in an accident before but, let me tell you, it was intense! While we were in mid air I tried to look out the windows but I just saw a blur of lightly colored nothing, probably due to the fact that we were spinning/flying around really, really fast. I think it all happened in like 4 seconds or maybe less, but I think time went into slo-mo inside the taxi. I remember thinking 'Oh no, we’re going to die. I have no idea what we’ve hit, but another car is going to hit us right now and we’re all going to die.'

"Once we came to a standstill the car was laying straight up on the passenger side and it was wobbling around. I was afraid to move because it felt like the car was going to tip over and land of the roof. That would have been bad! So I was there for a few more seconds thinking "Hmmm…so what should I be doing now?" All I knew was that I didn’t want to move. Just then the driver told us "Hey guys, don’t move!" And then a punch of people showed up at the car and started looking in the back window and yelling to us. I heard them try to open up the back, driver’s side door and since it was locked they tried to break the window (without warning us of course). Luckily I realized what they were trying to do and yelled at them wile unlocking and opening the door (somehow I was able to reach it from where I was now sitting on top on Elder Phillips). I got the door open and then they started asking me questions like if I was ok and stuff like that. They told me not to move at all, but I really felt pretty good so I told them that I was fine and that they needed to pull me out. They helped me out and took me to the other side of the street. There were several policemen right there. Turns out that we just so happened to crash like 20 feet away from a group of policemen! So within about five minutes, there was a fire truck, an ambulance, a police car, a neighborhood police/watchguard (aka rent-a-cop types) truck, and a news crew right there with us! I don’t think I’ve ever soon or heard of such a fast response to an accident before. The policeman asked us a few questions and then they mostly just asked us if we were ok and if we wanted to go to the hospital or not.
"Pretty quickly afterwards another taxi showed up to take us home and that’s basically where the adventure ended."
He didn't have a picture of the car tipped on its side because the people righted it pretty quickly. He does have pictures of the taxi and what it looked like after the accident. Here are a few.

3 comments:

Autumn said...

How scary!!!! My heart was racing a bit reading about it!

Micheline said...

That is pretty scary! It sure brought back memories and I remember having some of those same thoughts when we rolled our truck a few years ago. Tell Jordan we are so thankful that he is okay!

Photography By Jo said...

Wow, I'm glad they were all ok.